Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ditkoff 14 Suggestions


Tolerate Ambiguity: When Thomas Edison was asked how it felt to fail 800 times before coming up with tungsten as the filament for the light bulb, his answer was a revealing one. “Fail?” he said. “I didn’t fail once. I learned 800 times what didn’t work.” Edison had the ability to tolerate ambiguity. I think that this breakthrough means that if you can withstand failure and mistakes you can achieve great accomplishments. Others may think your ideas are crazy and your time is not worthwhile but in reality the more you can take and use uncertainty, the chances of you birthing a breakthrough idea increase. So don’t dwell on your failures but rather study them, learn why they did not work and build off that.
FantasIze: n 1989, Gary kasparov, the soviet union Grand chess master, played a two game match against “Deep Blue,” the reigning supercomputer of the time. kasparov won easily. When asked by the media what his competitive advantage was, he cited two things: intuition and the ability to fantasize. Ditkoff goes on to explain why that few of us are ever encouraged to fantasize, and yet, fantasizing is exactly how many breakthrough ideas get their start—by some dreamer amusing the seemingly impossible. Fantasizing is massively important to the creation of ideas. If people didn’t dream of the extraordinary then the ordinary wouldn’t exist; for the ordinary is a branch of extraordinary thinking. A current challenge of mine is be able to make films, in a way that I could total if not major of freedom to what I would like. And If I had the ability to have a fantasy solution, I guess it would be have my own film/production company. With that I would be able to have liberal freedom to make the movies I wanted how I wanted them.
Notice and challenge existing Patterns and Trends: Noticing patterns says Ditkoff, is crucially important and it closely ties to the successes of people who make there living on noticing patterns, people in the business of futurology, meteorology, air traffic controlling, and stock brokering. Breakthrough thinkers often hit the gravy train by challenging old patterns and then reconfiguring them in new ways Ditkoff explains. I too also think that great success is related to ones ability to find patterns; patterns in the economy, in rating, demographics. Patterns are not just important to know what has happened, but is also crucial in determining what will happen. The trends in the market that I most closely follow are the trends in what people are watching. Like in film, people are very interested in vampires and zombies. However this trend will shift like all other trends in the movie industry and soon it will be on to the next crazy; in my opinion I think it will be western and UFOs that is not to say that they are already not a promenade tend now.
Hang out with Diverse Groups of People: When I first read this suggestion I really got to thinking about my own social life and the people that I hang out with. I began to realize that much of what suggestion was saying about typical behavior applied to me. Slightly embarrasses that I thought of myself as pretty well diverse, turns out that not the case. So I asked myself how many different groups of people do I spend time with on a weekly basis, I think I came up with two; two very similar groups of people. Once again I feet small and unrounded. Ditkoff suggest that one needs to break the so-called “bonds” of the familiar and hang out with different crowds. Not just stop there but to also go beyond the usual people that I would befriend and spend time with but to look for outcast and oddballs. So I challenged myself, and sort of building of off the challenge that Ditkoff confronted the reader with. His challenge asked us to make a list of ten people or groups of people out your traditional “Posse” who you can spend time with this month. I decided to not make a list but instead to actually do it. I would spend a month spending each week with a new classmate or work associate’s group of friends, hang out where they hang out and do the type of things they do. Through this activity I would hope to gain a broader knowledge of how people interact with on another, where people are from and how that measures in how they interact and view others.

No comments:

Post a Comment